Monday, December 1, 2014

Close-up Drawing

I Create Original Art:


How did you use your own unique ideas in your work?


             - For the drawing project, I chose to do an up-close look of jingle bells. Originally, I thought of coloring the bells the original color, which was a golden brown. However, I thought the repetition of one color would look unappealing; so, I chose to do a mix of bright, colorful colors for each jingle bells. In order for the bells to look more customized, I kept at least two bells of the same color, but in different areas of the paper. I also decided to do only a small portion of my reference picture (which was a collection of 100 bells on my leg). To make the drawing look more detailed in terms of texture and colors, I thought if I screenshot only a couple of bells bunched up together. What I really focused on was the bells being on top, on the bottom, and next to each other so it looked repetitive yet different with the shadings and highlights.  Another idea I chose was to have the bells take up the whole paper. The more crowded the bells looked, the more opportunities I had to focus on the different positions of the bells. So while referring back to my basic reference, I put in my own unique ideas of keeping the bells to face different directions, as well as adding my own choice of bright, contrasting colors. 


I Develop My Art Making Skills:


Did you gain skill with familiar materials?


          -The medium I chose for the drawing project was prisma colored pencils. I have previously used prisma colored pencils but not as effectively. In this drawing, I focused on the use of different shades of one color to produce a more realistic look of the bell. For example, for the blue colored bells, I used white, light blue, teal, turquoise, dark blue, violet, light purple, and black. For the purple colored bells, I used white, magenta, pink, violet, light purple, baby pink, and black. For the green colored bells, I used, white, sea-green, forest-green, neon-green,parrot-green, and black. And lastly for the orange colored bells, I used red, dark red, white, yellow, orange, red-orange, brown, and black. With the whites, I made 3 sections on the 3 sides of the bell for the highlighted section. I used the black for the bottom of the bells or next to the bells where the bells intersect and where the light is darker towards the bottom of the bell. I also used black for the inside of the bells where there's no color and light. The technique I learned specifically with prismacolors is how to blend two colors successfully. From the bottom of the bell, I had the darker shades and then gradually blended in the light colors in the middle of the bell where the rim is. I repeated the same process for each side of the bell where the highlight is the center. I colored in a circular motion towards the center for the sides of the bell, and for the bottom section I dragged the pencil back and forth in a roundish motion to make the bells look spherical. 

I Communicate Through My Work:


How is this artwork about who you are or what you like?


           - I personally like drawing realistic objects. With this unique idea of a close up drawing of jingle bells, I wanted to show how I liked things that look somewhat realistic; and in order for that to show, I added in the highlights and shades of the bells. I also get attracted to bright colors, especially when there's more than one color being used in a drawing. So I added in the light greens, pinks, oranges, and blues to the variation of the bells' colors. With Christmas coming soon, I thought maybe doing jingle bells will make sense for a theme, however I changed the typical "red and green" combination to be a combination of different shades of the primary colors we usually see. For example, I chose to do a brighter shade of green instead of using the normal forest-green we see during Christmas time. I also like working with colored pencils. Prismacolors are really attractive because you don't see the gaps of the paper when you color something, making the drawing look more realistic. So I prefer any realistic drawing of an object to have full color, variation, repetition, and shape. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment