Friday, October 2, 2015

Essential Question Project 10/2

For my project, I chose the word "beauty". At first, I wanted to do a portrait of a young, beautiful woman but eventually changed my idea to do something completely different. My question changed to "How has beauty evolved?"; so I decided to do an evolution of makeup from the 1920s to the present day, 2015. There were 4 distinct looks that I chose to do on my model, Carissa Ayers. We then took photographs of each look and I put them on a powerpoint slideshow with descriptions of each look.
    I wanted to do this project because a lot of people underestimate makeup, or cosmetics, to be a kind of art. Many techniques we learn in class can also be applied to the human face; like contouring, shading, value, lines, color, etc. By researching about the different styles of makeup, I applied certain eyeshadow colors, foundation colors, and variations of lines on her face.




1990s

2015
1970s








1920s

The 1920s look: Flapper

  • Bright red lipstick
  • Defined, thick top eyeliner, minimal bottom eyeliner
  • Long eyelashes
  • Thick, dark eyebrows
  • Heavily white, powdered face
  • Rosy pink cheeks
  • I also pulled her hair back and teased it in order for hair to have the '20s "puff look"
    The 1970s look: Disco
  • prominent blue eyeshadow with bright purple eyeshadow on the creases
  • winged eyeliner; heavy mascara 
  • hot pink/magenta lipstick with pink lipgloss 
  • lots of pink blush on the cheekbones 
  • added a glittery hairband to represent the colorful, shiny look from the 1970s
    The 1990s look: Grunge
  • fully covered black eyeshadow above and below the eyelids; silver eyeshadow in the creases
  • thick, intense black winged eyeliner on top and bottom
  • minimal mascara
  • thick, dark eyebrows
  • lots of concealer for bright, white skin
  • Dark lips: dark maroon shade 
  • No blush; just a little bronzer for contours on her cheekbones
  • septum piercing; beanie; choker
  • pin-straight hair
     The 2015 look: Modern
  • Heavy contouring of the face: tan-colored foundation used on cheekbones, jawline, forehead line, and nose
  • navy blue and orange smokey eye 
  • thinner eyeliner
  • heavy mascara
  • nude lipstick/lipgloss
  • bronzer and minimal blush on cheeks
  • tight, high bun w/ shiny silver earrings











No comments:

Post a Comment