Monday, October 12, 2015

Olivia Gude

I feel the use of postmodern principles is important to know as an art student, however I don't agree that you have to study art textbooks in order to make great art. In that way, art is one of those subjects that doesn't require a specific curriculum because it's eventually up to the artist and how they would want to interpret their artwork. There are many art pieces in the world that have no connection to any one of the postmodern principles yet still worth millions. Also, I feel that artists have these principles within their artwork without even knowing it. Therefore, I believe that these principles are known to be just general ideas rather than specific vocabulary words for a student to study and be tested on.

My favorite postmodern principles would be appropriation and layering. I feel with technology advancing its way into works of art, many artists have adopted different ways of making art a lot more interesting. For example, with appropriation, there are tons of ideas you could create since it's just a combination of multiple types of art styles; therefore your options are limitless. I also agree that a lot of people create art based on their environment like with the example of living in the woods, which can also be an example of appropriation. I also like layering because it's more technological-based. I like the fact that you can layer piles of different art styles on top of each other to eventually create a whole new piece. It's also a fun way to incorporate photography into art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment