Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Postmodern Principles



My project was a painting of the Taj Mahal based on the principle of appropriation. I took a famous monument that is actually completely white in real life, and made it my own by adding a a
variety of colors such as purple, pink, yellow, green, blue, turquoise, black, orange, red, etc. The medium I used was acrylic paint, and was painted on a 3ft by 2ft canvas. I used appropriation by adding more colors for the sky, building, and landscape, which makes it my own colorful way of perceiving the Taj Mahal. The reason I chose appropriation was because I needed to work on creating ideas of my own with my own with no inspiration whatsoever. Therefore, I took the painting as my own and randomly splattered color on the canvas thinking that it'll eventually look somewhat like the Taj. This was a tedious and long process, but I enjoyed doing something different and took it as a challenge.



6 comments:

  1. This piece came out so beautiful!! You definitely went out of your comfort zone to create this piece and I'm glad I got to see the process from the very beginning. You're extremely talented! Don't ever forget that! -Carissa Ayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poorna this is so amazing!! I know you challenged yourself with this piece and it came out so good!! -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks beautiful! You spent a lot of time on it and it shows. I really love the colors you used, and the reflection turned out amazing! -Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh my gosh the colors are AMAZING! I love how they all come together, great piece! I can tell you worked really hard on this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, the shading of the grass looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHHHHHHHHH it turned out so goooooooooood i love the colors and the sky and grass specifically are looking mighty fine
    -sarah

    ReplyDelete