Thursday, March 20, 2014

Blog Post 3-artistic behaviors

Artists Communicate Through their Art:
This was the original sketch I was referring off of.


-For the color project I painted a picture of a woman's lip biting the stem of a rose. The stem has thorns on it, and the thorns bite her lip, causing dripping blood. With this painting, I tried to communicate with the feeling of jealousy or hate. For me, I feel like letting out my anger through hurting myself allows my pain to release. This is depicted through the thorns from the stem which hurt her lips. I also felt that jealousy could be another perception of this expression. Jealousy tends to make people (girls especially :P) do something that causes even more pain for them. It can also make someone feel worthless and therefore punish themself for being who they are. Her way of putting the stem on her mouth, knowing that her lips will bleed, shows how she wants to feel the pain. That's why I chose to do an unexpected action for the focus of my painting. This made it easier for me to display the expression of my painting clearly.

Artists Develop Art Techniques

I learned through some of the warm-ups on how to sketch in comparison to what you see in real life; for example, the perspective of what you're looking at should be the same as what your drawing on your paper.
* the orange came from the chalk pastel that
smeared onto the sketch from another next page*
In the hand sketches I really focused on what I was looking at, almost like contour drawing where I just followed the object without taking the pencil off the paper. This helped me in getting a good base off of what I was trying to draw, and it turned out to look the same as my own hand! I had to add in some value to make the hand look somewhat realistic; along with the lines and curves which had to be in detail so it didn't look fake. What I did as something different was color behind the hand all black so the drawing could really pop out in contrast with the background. I also tried to focus on the orientation of the hand; since the position wasn't straight, I made it a little slanted so it was the same as how my own hand looked. These techniques really helped me in making the sketch look realistic. 





Artists Create Original Art

-For the land/sky project I wanted to have a difference in what art materials I used as well as what effect to give from the drawing. For the land project, I used oil pastels to burnish/blend the bright colors of the drawing. The concept of my land drawing was very simple, I tried to make it look peaceful by adding just colors that really stand out to you. For the trees, I enjoyed making the bushels of leaves look combined by swerving the oil pastels continuously. The trunk of the tree also had some value, because I wanted the details of the bark to be darker than the local color (brown). With the sky project, I had a choice of doing the night sky or a bright sky with the sun; I stuck with the night, since there's a lot of blending involved with it. The effect of the night sky is quite dark, and mysterious since the moon shines alone with dark clouds scattered randomly. The original aspect of these drawings were that I made these based on my own ideas/visuals.












No comments:

Post a Comment